I've never made a savoury crumble but this really was yummy
Braised Chicken crumble.
4 chicken legs, cut into thighs and drumsticks ( I used fillets )
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 small red onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
4 tsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato puree
700 ml hot chicken stock
200g can chopped tomatoes
1 small courgette, roughly chopped
1 can chickpeas, well drained
For the crumble topping
200g plain flour
100g unsalted butter
2 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
2 cloves garlic, pasted
75g, roughly, dried breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C Gas 5.
2. Season the chicken well with salt and pepper.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan, add chicken and cook quickly to brown all over.
4. Remove chicken from the pan and place in an ovenproof dish or casserole.
5. Add onions and garlic to the pan used to cook the chicken and cook until nicely browned. Sprinkle over the flour and stir in the tomato puree.
6. Pour on half the stock and bring to the boil, stirring continuously to make a nice smooth sauce.
7. Pour the sauce over the chicken legs, then add the remaining stock, chopped tomatoes, courgette, peas and chickpeas.
8. Season well, cover the dish with a tight fitting lid and cook for about 45minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
9. Make up the crumble by placing the flour, and butter into a food processor, then blitz until you have fine breadcrumbs.
10. Add the thyme and garlic and pulse together, then add the dried breadcrumbs right at the end.
11. Remove the chicken from the oven and remove the lid.
Spoon over the crumble mix, and re bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked though and nicely browned.